Household Emergency Assistance Program

The Household Emergency Assistance Program is funded by the B.C. Government and administered by the Red Cross. The program has been extended to provide up to nine rounds of monthly financial assistance from July 2018 through March 2019. The Program assists eligible primary residence households in the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary that have extensive damage due to the spring flooding and are experiencing financial need. Starting in November eligible households will have to meet with a Canadian Red Cross caseworker to discuss their needs. Support is available for both lodging and food, with amounts determined each month, on a case-by-case basis.

Recovery support for flood-impacted households 

Households whose primary residence was damaged by the spring flooding and are experiencing financial need may be eligible for additional and complementary financial assistance from the Red Cross for needs such as food, medical support or counselling.

To book a confidential one-on-one appointment with a Red Cross case worker to discuss your needs, please call the Red Cross at 1-800-863-6582 (Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.) or come in person during opening hours at the Red Cross Support Centre in Grand Forks (location and hours listed below).

Red Cross Support Centre

7261 Riverside Drive (Boundary Flood Recovery office)
Grand Forks, BC

Monday: 9 am - 4 pm (closed from 12 pm – 1 pm)
Tuesday: 9 am - 12 pm
Wednesday: 9 am - 4 pm (closed from 12 pm – 1 pm)
Thursday: 9 am - 4 pm (closed from 12 pm – 1 pm)

Closed: Fridays, weekends and statutory holidays

Flood-impacted residents can book an appointment to discuss their needs and potential assistance with a Red Cross case worker at the Support Centre in Grand Forks. You can also find copies of the Preparing for and Coping with Emergencies and Disasters Guide at the Support Centre to help with your return home and recovery.

If you are a flood-impacted resident anywhere else in B.C. you can contact your local authority for more information on services in your area.

Additional Resources