Through our Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP), a national program of the Canadian Red Cross, we’re providing health equipment to individuals dealing with illness or injury.
Thanks to donors, local funders and partners; and with the support of dedicated volunteers and staff, our Health Equipment Loan Programs empower thousands of people each year to live more independently.
HELP also plays an important role in the diversion of used equipment otherwise destined for landfill.
HELP operates in the provinces of B.C., Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as the Yukon territory.
How do we help?
Our Short Term Loan Program alleviates the pressures that come along with injury or illness; assists seniors with mobility issues, allows people to return home from hospital earlier, and supports those in palliative care who wish to spend their final days in the comfort of their own home.
For anyone who needs medical equipment to live safely at home, the Red Cross provides aids such as:
- Bath seats and benches
- Commodes and toilet seats
- Crutches and canes
- Bed handles
- Other durable medical equipment
HELP is a volunteer-supported, community-based service that is made possible through the support of health authorities, donations of used equipment, financial donations, and the efforts of thousands of volunteers and professional staff.
This program is an integral part of the Canadian health care system and ensures the health and safety of our clients by requesting a referral from a registered health care professional for all equipment loans.
Click here to access our Health Equipment Instruction Sheets.
Customized Community Health Equipment Services
The Red Cross operates a number of equipment programs tailored to the specific needs of local communities. These include:
- Aids to Independent Living Program provides long term loans of home health equipment to individuals on low income in B.C.’s Lower Mainland.
- HELP - Bed Loan Program provides loans of home-use hospital beds to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick residents until no longer required. Delivery, pick up and installation is provided.
- Children’s Medical Equipment Recycling and Loan Service provides recycled specialized medical and therapeutic equipment to children in B.C. who are on the At-Home Program or are in government care.
- HELP Plus program in British Columbia augments the short term loan program by providing delivery and installation of advanced equipment such as beds and lifts.
- HELP - Specialized Equipment Program provides customized mobility aids to Nova Scotians residing in Long Term Care facilities and to Seniors residing in New Brunswick.
- HELP – Community Health Equipment Loans program provides 3 month loans of home health and mobility equipment to residents of PEI, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador. For Seniors in New Brunswick, the equipment can be borrowed until it is no longer required.
- The Manual Wheelchair Recycling Program is a partnership between Ontario’s Assistive Devices Program and the Canadian Red Cross. Clients can donate their adult manual wheelchairs to any Ontario branch of the Red Cross once they are no longer needed. This is a recycling program that restores, reuses, and recycles donated equipment in whole or in part, to extend its life cycle.
Visit our provincial pages to find all the information you need to access your community programs:
- Contact information
- Programs offered in your local community
- Required health care professional referral forms
- Equipment provided in your community
- HELP locations