British Columbia Floods 2018

The province of British Columbia and generous Canadians are helping the Red Cross provide financial assistance and support to individuals and families impacted by spring flooding.

Household Emergency Assistance Program

Emergency Management BC and the Canadian Red Cross jointly developed the first-of- its-kind Household Emergency Assistance Program, with funding from the provincial government. This program provides financial assistance to uninsured households that are primary residences and that the local government has deemed uninhabitable or extensively damaged. The Household Emergency Assistance Program is currently available only to the flood-impacted communities within the Kootenay Boundary Regional District and is complementary to financial support available from the Red Cross.
Red Cross will be contacting potentially eligible, registered households via email and phone to ask additional questions to determine eligibility for the program. If you have not heard from the Red Cross and believe you may be eligible for the Household Emergency Assistance Program, please contact our Red Cross Call Centre at 1-800-863-6582 (Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm) or come in person to the Grand Forks Support Centre (hours listed below).

Recovery support for flood-impacted households 

Households whose primary residence was damaged by the spring flooding and are experiencing financial need may be eligible for additional and complementary financial assistance from the Red Cross for needs such as food, medical support or counselling.

To book a confidential on-on-one appointment with a Red Cross case worker, please call the Red Cross Call Centre at 1-800-863-6582 (Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm) or come in person during opening hours at the Grand Forks Support Centre (hours listed below). 

Red Cross Support Centre

Royal Canadian Legion Hall
7353 6 St., Grand Forks
Open Monday – Friday: 10am - 5pm, closed from 12pm – 1pm

People can also pick up Red Cross clean-up kits from the Support Centre in Grand Forks to assist with their return home.

If you are a flood-impacted resident anywhere else in B.C. you can contact your local authority for more information on services in your area.

Important evacuation information may also be available on your local authority’s website and social media accounts. 

Additional Resources