Staying safe during a hurricane
- Check your disaster supplies and replace or restock as needed.
- Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind.
- Turn off propane tanks and unplug small appliances.
- Fill your car with a tank of gas.
- Talk with your family and prepare an evacuation plan. Practice this plan consistently in order to avoid confusion and chaos in the midst of evacuation.
- Create copies of personal documents such as birth certificates, passports and driversí licenses.
- Keep extra cash on you. If the power is out for a significant amount of time you will not have access to bank machines.
- Have at least a three day supply of food and water. The food should be non-perishable and easy to prepare.
For more tips on how you and your family can be prepared during hurricane season visit: http://www.redcross.ca/ready/