Canadian Red Cross Alberta - A Year in Review
Written by: Courtney Wilson, Communications Volunteer
Long term service award recipients Enid Brown and Jean Jaycock at the Regional Annual Meeting in Calgary, Alberta.
To celebrate their accomplishments and reflect on the past year, Red Cross employees and volunteers gathered together for two Regional Annual Meetings.
The first was held in Calgary on May 8. A very special presentation was made to long-time volunteers Jean Jaycock and Enid Brown, two of the Alberta Red Cross’s “Knitting Ladies”. Jean Jaycock was awarded a 20 year service award while Enid Brown was celebrated for her 30
The live DJ at the Regional Annual Meeting in Edmonton, Alberta
The second meeting, held in Edmonton on May 16, had some fun and interesting events including:
- The Honourable Fred Horne celebrating the hard work of the Canadian Red Cross
- Getting a groove on to the live DJ.
- And posing with crazy props in the photo booth.
A great deal of fun was had by all in attendance at both meetings, where all of the accomplishments from the past year were celebrated and acknowledged for each program.
Snapshot of 2011-2012
Disaster Management was busy this last year providing aid in response to the Northern Alberta Wildfires. Volunteers from across the country:
- Registered more than 15,000 people for aid,
- Provided assistance to 4,500 people,
- Provided advocacy, distributed hard goods and hope.
For more info visit: redcross.ca/slavelake
Steve Armstrong, Alberta Provincial Director shares a laugh with Charlene Bruised Head-Mountain Horse Community Outreach Coordinator
In line with the Canadian Red Cross belief in the power of community, the Community Outreach program has much to celebrate as well.
- The Aboriginal Outreach program was able to reach 2,250 individuals with their Walking the Prevention Circle message, empowering participants in the prevention of abuse.
- The Community Housing Support Program was able to provide financial assistance to over 1,100 people for housing or basic needs.
Long time Canadian Red Cross volunteer Enid Brown shares words of wisdom with Erica Hoiss Humanitarian Issues Coordinator
In the Health and Social Programs sector, we saw great success with our Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP). The program received a $1.2 million donation from AHS to support the program’s medical equipment inventory.
The Violence and Abuse Prevention saw a new single day impact record during their, Pink Shirt Day event which engaged over 21,400 youth and adults to raise awareness about the impact of bullying.
Last but certainly not least, marking the 65th Anniversary for the Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety, we were was happy to see:
- over 50,000 Albertans were trained in Standard First Aid
- almost 200,000 people were trained in Water Safety
Thank you for helping make this past year such a success. We are looking forward to another record breaking year in 2012-2013.