Red Cross disaster services in Canada
When families or entire communities are impacted by natural disaster, internal conflict, or other emergencies, Red Cross can respond immediately with a range of services. We work in collaboration with local authorities and other agencies to help those affected with their immediate needs.
- Shelters: A safe and temporary location may be opened by authorities during a disaster to house evacuees. This is where evacuees receive basic services including lodging, food, clothing, first aid family reunification, information and other personal services.
- Reception centres: During a disaster, a reception centre may be opened by local authorities in the impacted community. This is a one-stop service centre where Red Cross workers can discuss your needs and the options available to you.
- Family reunification: The chaos and confusion that accompany emergencies and natural disasters can separate families when they need each other most. We help people re-establish contact with immediate family members after separation due to natural disasters and other humanitarian crises. Learn moreĽ
- Lodging: if you canít return home, we will work with you to explore whether you can stay with family or if you will need to temporarily stay in a shelter or another accommodation.
- Information: during a disaster Red Cross provides necessary information and referrals through shelters, reception centres or call centres.
- Food: We provide evacuees access to food through various means which may include vouchers, meals at a shelter, or referral to another agency.
- Clothing: We provide evacuees access to basic clothing through various means which may include purchasing clothing for evacuees, providing vouchers for clothing or referral to other agencies.
- Personal services: Disasters can strike quickly and without warning. If you arrive at one of the centres listed above and need an item or assistance, let us know. For example, we can help connect you with services or another agency to provide a hearing aid battery, a prescription, transportation to an appointment, and much more.
Want to help?
The best way to support Canadian Red Cross disaster responses in Canada or around the world is through a financial donation. This gives us maximum flexibility to obtain exactly what relief materials we need, when and where they are needed. We do not accept donations from individuals of items like food, clothing or toys. Click here to donate now. If you are interested in volunteering with the Red Cross, please visit our volunteering page.
You Make the Difference Ė Support Canadians Affected by Disasters
From house fires to forest fires, hurricanes to floods, the Canadian Red Cross is there for more than 20,000 Canadians who are affected by disasters each year. Please donate to the Canadian Red Cross Fund.