Beyond the Hurt: A Comprehensive Approach to Bullying and Harassment
Build a Framework for responding to bullying and harassment
- Identify and manage organizational risks through the use of a risk assessment tool that will help organizations to identify and address critical issues that affect children and youth within their organization
- Establish a violence prevention committee comprised of youth, parents, adults, teachers and community members that will develop policies, guide and lead prevention activities and programs
- Review and revamp policies and procedures to provide a safe environment and protection for children and the personnel who work with them; an effective anti-bullying and harassment policy, based on best practices and leading-edge research, is developed which promotes positive relationships and opposes bullying and harassment
- Review or develop a complaints system: based on the findings of the risk assessment and policy review; procedures and systems must be put in place to ensure the organization will be able to respond effectively to incidents of bullying and harassment.
Prevention Education Education and Workshops are provided to
- adults who work with youth
Training is provided to build the capacity of the organization to respond effectively to bullying and harassment. Providing Beyond the Hurt workshops in conjunction with other interventions within their organization will lead to a positive environment for youth.
A social marketing and communications strategy will help to educate the community on the importance of responding to bullying and harassment, supporting prevention education, providing support and protection to victims as well as counseling and services to bullies.
Monitor, Support and Evaluate
Through a continuous evaluation and evidence based approach, the Red Cross RespectED program provides monitoring and support to all participating organizations maintaining a safe learning environment, best practices, consistency and flexibility of programming and an evaluation process in the training and delivery of programs.
Evaluation and Research
Planning, policies, education and workshops are all evidence based, supported by ongoing evaluation and research.
“The Red Cross Beyond the Hurt workshop fits perfectly with our Board’s character education model, which involves preparing learners to be responsible, caring and contributing citizens, we have had excellent success implementing Beyond the Hurt at Huron Heights” Beverly Madigan, Vice Principal, Huron Heights Secondary School
“I hope that I can go back to my school and truly make a difference. I feel that I am now equipped with the proper tools and knowledge to bring about a positive change.” Grade 11 Male, Beyond the Hurt youth participant.
“I learned way more then I imagined I would” Grade 10 Female youth participant
“I will be more aware of being a bystander and the power I have.” Male youth participant
You Make the Difference – Support Programs that Help Prevent Violence and Abuse
RespectED programs are made possible through the generous support of donors like you. Please donate to the Canadian Red Cross Fund today.